This year, more than 600 startups from 52 different countries took part, more than 12 000 online votes were gathered, and 41 million people reached on social media
CASABLANCA, Morocco – Startup.Info has announced the winners of the “Startup of the Year 2018 competition” following an awards ceremony which took place in Casablanca at the end of last month.
Following the success of the first edition of “Startup of the year Africa”, the collaborative startup magazine Startup.Info has reiterated its commitment to supporting African innovation. With the support of major international groups such as OCP, ENGIE, QWANT, FINANCE INNOVATION, PwC, Labs-NS-Avocats, Holmarcom Group, Royal Air Maroc, as well as 70 media and ecosystem partners, Startup.Info launched the 2nd edition of the contest “Startup of the year Africa”.
This year, more than 600 startups from 52 different countries took part, more than 12 000 online votes were gathered, and 41 million people reached on social media.
The jury of experts of the competition « Startup of the year Africa 2018 » on January 24, 2018 to choose the winners of the following awards:
Founded by Brian Bosire & Victor Shikoli, HydroIQ is a virtual Water Network Operator. It brings intelligence in water distribution by preventing leakages on the network and automatic (mobile) billing a payment.
Founded by Youness Ouazri, Ecodome Maroc produces ecotouristic housing made of natural soil in the form of domes.
Founded by Brou Kouame Yves Laurent, GRACI is a startup aiming at the development of rice production in Ivory Coast. It proposes a program of production, certification and distribution of Improved Certified Seeds of rice.
Founded by Okey Ibekwe Esse, Peachwater Consulting designs, manufactures and markets Powerstove clean cookstove that is smokeless and generates electricity with 70% less biomass fuel than competitors.
FINANCE INNOVATION – FINTECH DESTINATION AFRICA &
Founded by Edem ADJAMAGBO, SEMOA proposes a solution to the development of e-commerce in Africa by installing payment terminals throughout the continent.
Holmarcom Group Special Prize: THEA (France)
Founded by Dr. Eloi MONKAM, THEA is a medical mobile app that connects patients to doctors for a first diagnosis.
Founded by Palesa Mahlatji, PRIYO has developed a portable solar digital smart computer lab to train youth from underprivileged, under-resourced schools and communities in rural and peri-urban areas on how to use the computer. Priyo trains them in IT: End user computing, ICT, Digital Marketing and E-Learning and links job seekers to online employment opportunities.
Founded by Muriel RANDRIAMASIMANANA, Project Alpha is an event agency. Its principal activity is based on video games and e-sport phenomena.
JURY and EXPERTS « STARTUP OF THE YEAR AFRICA 2018 »
The finalists of the competition have been selected by a jury of experts, DGs of big international groups and successful startuppers:
- Selma Bennis, OCP Entrepreneurship Network, Head of Partnership and Finance
- Amine Homman, Regional director, ENGIE North Africa
- Eric Leandri, Chairman, QWANT
- Stéphane Quéré, Director, ENGIE
- Joëlle Durieux, Executive Director, FINANCE INNOVATION
- Kossi Adzo, Founder, Startup.Info
- Bernard Gainnier, Chairman, PwC France and Francophone Africa
- Fortuné Ahoulouma, Lawyer at Paris bar, PhD, LABS-NS AVOCATS
- Noël Albertus, Executive Director, PwC Advisory Maghreb and Francophone Africa
- Kosi Vuti, Executive Director, Midrange Consulting
- Bruno Pennel, CIO, Bernis Investissement
- Cécile Saint Jean, Director, PwC France
- Zouhair Mouhib, Royal Air Maroc, Innovation & Digital partnerships manager
- Mohamed Laraqui, Holmarcom Group, Project Manager
- Cyril Armange, Directeur des Partenariats, FINANCE INNOVATION
The Awards Ceremony has been broadcast live (videos & live tweets) during its entire duration. You can have an overview on Facebook and Twitter pages with the hashtag #StartupAfro
The winners will receive the following awards:
Jury Prizes « Startup of the Year Africa 2018 »:
The following rewards will correspond to different kinds of prizes:
The Jury Award « Startup of the Year Africa 2018 »:
- Main prize: African startup of the year : 10,000€ in Cash and a 10,000€ Visibility Pack (Startup.info website background with 100,000+ views, mention in press campaign, banner in emailing), integration into our partners’ business network.
- PwC – Jury-s choice award: Visibility Pack with 50,000 views and integration into our partners’ business network.
Special Partner Awards:
In addition to the jury and the public awards, our partners will grant special awards accompanied with a Startup.Info communication pack :
- OCP – AGRITECH Special PRIZE: 10000€ visibility Pack offered by Startup.info, visibility in OCP internal network, integration into entrepreneurship and innovation ecosystem of OCP Entrepreneurship Network
- engie – SPECIAL PRIZE : 10,000€ Visibility Pack offered by Startup.info, visibility in ENGIE internal network, integration into entrepreneurship and innovation ecosystem of ENGIE
- FINANCE INNOVATION Fintech destination Africa Award : 10,000€ Visibility Pack offered by Startup.info, a year membership of FINANCE INNOVATION international cluster, integration into FINANCE INNOVATION Business Network
- Startup.Info Africa diaspora startup of the year : 10,000€ Visibility Pack offered by Startup.info, integration into our partners’ business network.
Public choice awards:
- QWANT Public choice award : (N1 of public voting top 100) : 2,000€ in cash offered by Qwant, 10000€ Visibility Pack offered by Startup.info, Branding of Qwant’s homepage
- N 2 to 5 of public voting top 100 : visibility pack with 20,000 views and integration into our partners’ business network.
Available In Port Harcourt and Bayelsa.