DAPCHI: 5 Girls Dead As Boko Haram Frees Kidnapped School Girls

Girls returned in 9 vehicles same way they were taken away

Nigerian deadly Islamist militant group, Boko Haram today returned 105 girls kidnapped from a high school compound in Dapchi a few weeks ago according to a report by Saharareporters. The militant group came with the girls in 9 vehicles same way they took them away.

There was confusion in the area as members of the community scampered into the bush as the terror group appeared in the area, first dropping off one the girls in a nearby village and then driving into the center of Dapchi town to drop off the rest of the girls. Five of the girls are dead according to our source. It is not clear if the Nigerian government paid any ransom to get the girls released.

Also READ  How coronavirus stalled resuscitation of Ajaokuta Steel Plant

This is coming after an Amnesty Report indicted the Nigerian government for failing to act on an intelligence tip that alerted them about the plot to kidnap the girls in Dapchi.

The Nigerian Army and the police received at least five calls up to four hours before militants raided a boarding school in Dapchi last month, but they did not take measures to stop the abduction or to rescue the girls after they were gathered into vehicles and driven away, Amnesty said in a news release.

Dapchi Abduction: Nigerian Army Describes Amnesty’s Claims As ‘Outright Falsehood’

Military officials responded in forceful terms to Amnesty’s accusations, with a spokesman suggesting the group was being “economical with the truth” and trying to undermine “our military and our institutions.”.

In a longer statement issued on Tuesday, the military went further in its criticism of the rights group. “Most of their narratives are outright falsehood and a calculated attempt to whip up sentiments and mislead unsuspecting Nigerians,” the statement said.

Also READ  Relive The Best Moments Of BBNaija Lockdown This March On Africa Magic

“It is pertinent to state that most of their narratives are outright falsehood and a calculated attempt to whip up sentiments and mislead unsuspecting Nigerians. To demoralise friendly nations and people collaborating with security forces to end the forces of evil in the North-East,” they said.

Boko Haram fighters descended on Dapchi in the evening of Feb. 19, arriving in vehicles that looked similar to those used by the military and wearing fatigues.

Rescued Chibok girls

p053k9kv REPORT AFRIQUE InternationalIn September 2017, a group of more than 100 were reunited with their families at a party in the capital Abuja.

Most of the group were released in May as part of a controversial prisoner swap deal with the Nigerian government that saw five Boko Haram commanders released.

The girls spent months in government custody, undergoing psycho-social therapy after their traumatic experience at the hands of the Islamist militants.

Also READ  Boko Haram: New Video Shows Child Soldiers in Combat Trainings

But the government says they are “fully rehabilitated” and has promised to sponsor their further education.

More than 270 girls were kidnapped by the group from a school in the north-eastern town of Chibok.

The military say that the girl was rescued in Pulka in northern Borno state, which is more than 160km (100 miles) from the town.

They say she was discovered with a 14-year-old girl who was with a child but neither was identified as being part of the Chibok group.

 

Details of the returned DAPCHI school girls are still sketchy.  There were earlier reports of the release of the girls which was later found to be false.

 

Total
0
Shares
Related Posts
Total
0
Share