A video making the rounds online purportedly showing the Abubakar Shekau led faction of the dreaded Islamic militant group, Boko Haram, has claimed responsibility for the abduction of the schoolboys in Government Science Secondary School, Kankara, Katsina State.
The incident which took place last Friday and was reported by REPORT AFRIQUE had more than 300 students abducted in an all-boys government school leaving their parents waiting at the school premises for two days now pleading for the release of their children.
The video showed a group of boys with an older boy in front speaking English and Hausa with the leader of the group and other younger boys looking worried and distressed.
While REPORT AFRIQUE is yet to independently verify the authenticity of the video clip, the older boy urged the Federal government to come to their aid while pleading with the government to settle with their abductors without involving the military or the use of force.
“Please sir, you have to help us, we have been caught by the gang of Abu Shekau. Some of us were killed, please sir help us out immediately from here. You have to send them the money”, the older boy said in the video.
In the video posted on YouTube by Daily Nigerian, other younger boys where behind the older boy crying and pleading for help in a dusty environment with bushes in a forest.
Although the Katsina state government had briefed President Buhari that they are negotiating with the abductors while noting that the safety of the students is assured, the parents still at the school premises want something to be done urgently.
According to the parents, only 3 children have been accounted for out of the 17 released students announced by the state government.
Parents keep vigil at school premises in Kankara
Parents have refused to leave the school premises in Kankara where their children were abducted since last Friday pleading with the government to take swift actions in rescuing their children.
One of the parents said he visits the school everyday and stays all through the day and hasn’t seen any student returned.
“I have only seen those three people and those three people escaped from the kidnappers and they came back. So the matter of 17 being rescued as reported in the media is not true because we haven’t seen them”., said one of the parents.
Abdulkareem Ikram whose son was just a week old in the school before the incident said the situation is disturbing.
“We are worried because our children is still in the bush with these people but we submit everything to God”. The government has promised us that out children will be back latest by tomorrow and we are waiting to see.”, Ikram said.
The Islamist group had claimed responsibility for the December 11 abduction earlier in the week, but previously had shown no proof.
With the video released If true, Boko Haram’s involvement in northwestern Katsina state marks a geographical expansion in its activities.