Be the first to get an update on this story!

Join our Channel...

Whatsapp Channel

Japa:10 Countries Allowing Foreign Students to Bring Dependents

Top 5 countries that offer work visas with proof of funds

In an exclusive report by, several countries have been identified as still allowing foreign students to bring their loved ones while studying.

Despite the recent announcement by the UK, effective January 2, 2024, which prohibits foreign students from bringing dependents, there remain a number of nations that permit this practice. These countries include the USA, Canada, Germany, Australia, Austria, Malta, Japan, China, Denmark, and Finland.

Canada remains a top choice for international students wishing to bring their families, thanks to its immigration policies that facilitate the process. Spouses and children can accompany students, with dependents permitted to work full-time under certain conditions. Required documents include a visa application form, proof of relationship, letter of acceptance, financial proof, language proficiency, medical examination, and police clearance certificate. More information can be found here.

Finland is known for its progressive stance on family life for international students. The D visa grants 100 days of residency before the actual residence permit is issued. Spouses’ residence permits take around seven months to process. Applicants must demonstrate financial capability to support dependents. Further details are available here.

Germany offers a family reunion visa allowing family members of international students to reside in the country, either temporarily or permanently, based on the student’s course duration. Dependents are permitted to work. Requirements include the sponsor’s valid residence permit, sufficient living space, health insurance, financial security, German language skills, and age declaration for students and spouses. More information can be found here.

Malta provides several family visa options for international students, including spouse, child, and dependent family visas. Applicants must meet relationship, financial, health insurance, proof of relationship, and accommodation requirements. Details can be found here.

Japan allows foreign students to bring their spouses and children under a dependent visa. The visa can be applied for through a Japanese embassy or via a Certificate of Eligibility in Japan. It is advisable to secure stable accommodation before bringing dependents. Requirements are detailed here.

Australia’s immigration policies permit international students to bring immediate family members, including spouses and children under 18. Dependents may work without restrictions, and children can attend school. Further information is available here.

Austria requires family members to apply for residence permits and visas, proving sufficient funds to support dependents. Applicants must be over 21 years old. More information is available here.

China offers S1 and S2 visas for family members of international students, depending on the length of stay. The S1 visa is for long-term stays, valid for up to 180 days and extendable. The S2 visa is for short-term visits. Details can be found here.

Denmark is known for its safe environment and family-friendly policies. The Student Dependent visa allows spouses and children under 18 to accompany international students. English proficiency tests are not required. More information is available here.

The USA allows international students to bring spouses and unmarried children under 21 through F-2 visas. It is advisable to check specific institutional and course requirements before applying. Further information can be found here.

For Nigerians looking to study abroad, thorough research on courses, institutions, and countries is essential. Consulting with respective embassies ensures a smoother application process.

This Article is Fact-Checked. See Policy.

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Related Posts