A fire incident occurred at the Household of David Church in Lagos on Wednesday, resulting in the gutting of the church premises.
According to Amodu Shakiri, the spokesperson for the state’s Fire Service, the fire originated from the overheating of the church’s auditorium ceiling, leading to its collapse and subsequent ignition.
Fortunately, there were no reported injuries or casualties, as emergency response agencies swiftly acted to extinguish the fire.
The National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) confirmed the incident mentioning the collaborative efforts of various agencies, including NEMA, Lagos State Building Control Agency, Lagos Emergency Management Agency, State Fire Service, and the Police.
The fire, which went unnoticed by church workers, was brought to their attention by passersby. The church, which was leased and insured, had organized a 5-day crusade scheduled to begin on the evening of the incident and conclude on February 4, 2024. In anticipation of a significant congregant turnout, church workers had undergone training by the Fire Service.
Senior Pastor Olusola Osunmakinde, despite describing the incident as “a painful experience,” expressed determination to proceed with the planned conference.
He stated, “We are not too discouraged but we believe in God that we will still go on with the conference. It is a painful experience, no doubt. Today’s meeting goes on this evening; if we have to lift our hands and worship outside, we will do it. We will not back out because of this.”